Sunday, May 3, 2009

Nice cake, redux

For three Sundays in a row, I have been in the presence of cake. Not just any cake, either. Can you guess? But of course, you already know what type of cake it is, else there would be no reason for this post. Pineapple upside-down cake. Say what? I haven't had so much of this one type of cake in my life EVER.
It all began in the wee hours of Sunday, April 19th. Steed's was closing and Sam had fetched from the cooler the leftovers set aside from the earlier cookout. Said leftovers included a right fair hunk of cake, pineapple upside-down cake. This cake was a high-rise affair, with pineapple slices and brown sugar glaze. Oh, yeah! Nice cake! None for me, though; it was Sam's fortune cookie reward.
The following Sunday, April 26th, I'm over in Beaufort, SC. Daddy had died around 5 AM and I had told Bonnie, his wife of 31 years, that I would be over in the afternoon to help with the obituary. All well and good: this death had been foretold in November and I had made the most of spending time with him and preparing for goodbye in the ensuing months. So, off I go to Beaufort, ending up at Bonnie's mom's house, where a feast is waiting to assuage our grief. What a feast indeed! Shrimp in gravy, fresh green beans with new potatoes, lovely collard greens, fried shrimp, all scrumptious. And for dessert? Pineapple upside-down cake, this one a much lower version, made with crushed pineapple instead of slices. Of course, I had a piece of this one, regaling all with the story of my dear friend's fortune cookie and cake.
Now, here it is Sunday again, though it's a May Sunday. It's a special Sunday at the church, the last sermon to be held in the sanctuary until the renovations have been completed. As it's been a while since I've darkened its doors, I decide to attend. Plus, it's First Sunday of the month, meaning there will be much food afterward and socializing. I arrive almost an hour late, but I still catch all of the sermon and still found a seat with friends. Good times. Then we're all in line for the buffet lavishly spread out for us: fried chicken, cold cuts for sandwiches, macaroni and cheese, cheese broccoli casserole, tabouli, and much, much more.
And on the dessert table? Chocolate cake, chocolate brownies, blondies, chocolate cookies, pound cake, pie, and.. wait for it! ... pineapple upside-down cake. Of course, I had a generous slice. How could I not? Each three-inch-high piece had a glorious half-slice of pineapple, with a maraschino cherry nestled in the hollow. Quite pretty, quite sweet, bringing me happy thoughts of happy times. Nice cake.

No comments: