Saturday, June 1, 2013

half-a-century ago

Earlier today, I attended the fifth birthday party for one of my great-nieces! It was a picnic held at the big park on Tybee. Lots of family, lots of friends, lots of food! And, of course, there was a birthday cake - and she had helped her mom make it. Sah-weet!
She has such blonde, curly, wispy hair, just as I did as a girl of that age! Mind, that's pretty amazing, as she is not genetically related to me. Her mom, my turtle-loving niece, is the daughter of my stepbrother. All of us kids (except my youngest brother) were already grown and in our twenties (at the very least) when Mama married Frank on September 28, 1984. At the time, Mama had one granddaughter (my first niece) and Frank had one grandson (who became my first nephew). All of the other eleven grandchildren came along during the marriage, making all of them my nieces and nephews, genetic link or not. Got that? 'Cause that's where I stand on the topic.
Okay, soapbox stowed safely under the seat again.
(smile!)
As I was sayin'... she reminded me of a five-year-old me and I am sure Mama would have agreed! So, after I posted my pictures on fb, I stated: "Once upon a time, I was a tiny blonde-haired lass - and today I realized that was half a century ago! Wow!"
Next thing I knew, the comments were flying fast and sweet!

Cuzn Jeff: And now you are an intelligent, caring and compassionate, friendly, engaging, and sophisticated blonde-haired lass. I tip my wine glass to you.

John M of DL: What Jeff said!

out-law Bunny: Me, too. Me too!

out-law Dee: You are and always have been since the first day I met you, such a breath of fresh air. You've always had such a 'gift of gab' about you. As far as changing through the years... the one thing that has never changed, of which I've witnessed, is the drive and motivation to 'live on your own terms' and not everyone else's. So, I'm with Jeff. Cheers!

cousin Penny: I ditto what Jeff and John and Bunny said, too. Plus, I want to add that you are a truly renaissance woman! I'm blessed to be related to you!

And I am truly blessed to have such loving people, both near and far, both vocal and silent, who love me so dearly.
Wow.

No comments: