Monday, September 9, 2013

anchors aweigh, dear George

Like myself, George was a former member of the United States Navy. As such, I know he would have appreciated having that song linked to memories of him, especially these lines:
"Anchors aweigh, my boys, anchors aweigh,
Farewell to college joys, we sail at break of day-ay-ay-ay,
Through our last night on shore, drink to the foam,
Until we meet once more, here's wishing you a happy voyage home."

He was the carver of the turkey at Thanksgivings when my mother and his dad were still alive and the whole family would gather for the feast and to watch the Detroit Lions lose. Sometimes the Lions would win, usually not. But George could always be counted on for a few ribald jokes in the carport while he had a smoke or two.

He was the carver of the ham at Christmas Eve buffets where first food was demolished, then wrapping paper on gifts for the many grandchildren the blended family gave to my mother and his father. Between him and his two sisters and my three brothers, there were eleven grandchildren by birth (Stephen, Christina, Damon, Jason, Zach, Jean Marie, Emily, Michael, Hope, Zaida, and Molly), one by adoption (Tyler), and three steps (Christy, Clint, and Chelsea). Incredible wealth of love and joy!

He always had a ready hug and a quick bit of humor. That will be sorely missed. For one of the last times that I saw him, I had made sure to bring a joke of my own. Of course, it wasn't the deep sea blue flavor he really enjoyed, but it was one he could readily share with anyone near. I'm sure he did, too.

Lung cancer has cut his life short. He would have been a speed limit himself, 65, next month.

I will miss his mischievous, little boy smile. I will miss the glint of an inside joke peeking out of his eyes.
I will miss him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love you so much aunt tina!

- em

9 September 2013, 1:11 PM