Saturday, April 26, 2014

returning for a Modern Wedding


Actually, it was a reception. The wedding was last weekend, in Maryland.
This reception was for all to celebrate the marriage of Deborah to Kimmi, her love of the last seven years. What truly blessed times we live in that these two have been allowed to pledge their troth, for the rest of their lives, in front of God, country, and the world!
Truth to tell, I almost didn't make it there.
It's been wonderful these past three days, but driving in the mountains, whether they are in North Carolina, Tennessee, or Georgia, has been physically exhausting. Sure, it's pretty country, you bet. But, as the driver, you really don't get to enjoy much of the scenery, except in a large sense. You know what I mean? About the time you can focus in on that span of rapids, the road swerves and you must swerve, too, or crash through the guard rail and into the river. Or you notice that the pine trees on top of the mountain ridges look very much like the stray hairs on an old man's head - but then have to snap your attention back on the twisting gray serpent beneath your tires or risk a ride down a steep, seemingly bottomless, ravine just five feet to your right.
Now, picture doing that for hours and hours, for three days running.
Exhausting.
But my mental and emotional states are in fine form! My planned visit with my youngest brother this morning went very well, with him waiting on my arrival to the visitation room. Usually, it's the other way around. He is not allowed to come to visitation until he has showered and shaved and donned his finest prison garb. That takes a little time. This time, he knew a month ago that I was coming and when I would arrive and when I needed to leave.
I definitely need to be sure to work it that way in the future.
We had a very good visit for nearly four hours! What a great improvement over the last time I was able to see him. I know that part of the reason was the preparation beforehand.
Again, I need to be mindful of that in the future.
I hold told him in the letter that I needed to depart by 1 PM so I could arrive home in time for the wedding reception. Cool. At noon, he went to the guard desk to ask that they bring in the package of his books and papers that would be traveling home with me. And they very nicely compiled, bringing out a heavy box a few minutes before I was to leave. When I signed for the box, I saw it had only been approved on Monday.
Whew, that was cutting it close! So, I need to allow more than four weeks notice for such things in the future. But, for now, his Concordance, two Bibles, and envelope of old mail and study guides were out of his locker, allowing space for new possessions.
This is the second time since his arrival there that I have been allowed to help him save some of his meager possessions. He has been in Summerville since May of 2011.
Anyway, as I said, we had a very good visit, swapping stories of my travels and the family for tales of life under the new guard and his current living space. Then I collected the box, we gave each other our last hugs, and I retrieved my driver's license and keys from the security shack and got back in my car for the drive home.
As soon as I sat, I realized how drained I was.
Apparently, my body is not as young as it once was and cannot handle such long rides of constant attention in mountainous country. I was absolutely exhausted, and I had a six-hour drive ahead of me.
So, I made frequent stops. Oh, let's get some lunch and iced tea. Okay, time to stop and let some fluids out of my body! But a cold lemon-flavored water would be good to revive me. And now it's time to stop again.
Thank God I had the presence of mind to avoid the idiocy of that stretch of I-75 that services McDonough and Jonesboro. Those people cannot drive on interstates, yet they persist in trying, nearly killing the rest of us. No, not me, not this time. I took 20-East until I hit 441-South, following that to Dublin and I-16-East and home. A little variation to keep my mind from wandering, especially as tired as I was.
I also went straight - pardon me, "gently curving" - to the VFW Post 660, which was hosting the wedding reception. I arrived at the same time as the newlyweds! Whew! What good fortune!
And now, after a fun time with them and old friends I hadn't seen for a while and new friends that I don't see enough, I am home.
Time for bed and sweet dreams, y'all.

No comments: