Tuesday, July 15, 2014

summer kid, that's me!


That is one giant bumblebee!
Though, in truth,
it probably isn't any larger than this one.
But perspective is the key.
When you've been shrunk to the size of the Leafmen, size definitely matters!

I've really been enjoying my animation film festival!
While it's true that not all of the movies in the cinemas' series of summer-morning films are animated, a good many are.
That's fine with me!
Especially when they include race scenes or swordfights or pirates!
Not that pirates are in "Epic". Because they are most certainly not.
But I would not have minded if they were.
(smile!)
I was a little late joining the summer-morning films this year.
I did not see my first one until Tuesday, June 10th. But what an awesome first film for my personal Summer Kid Film Festival - "How To Train Your Dragon"!!! Toothless, my lovely Night Fury dragon!!! Woohoo!!!
To get to see the original days before the sequel came out was... aWeSOmE!!!
(Yes, I know I already said it, but it bore repeating.)
That first film of my SKFF was at the Royal Cinema in Pooler. They were the only ones that offered that favorite movie for me. Their summer films had started the week before. The movies screen on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10 AM and cost one dollar. Popcorn and a drink can be had for only $4.
Two weeks would pass before I was able to continue with my Summer Kid Film Festival. (Hey, I'm pretty busy in the summer, with travels and such. You, too, right?)
That second film, on June 25th, was "The Croods", at the Spotlight Cinema. Great movie about family, adventure, and daughter-father relationships. The Spotlight group screens their summer-morning films on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, at 10 AM. They are the only cinema that offers three days of these kid movies - and they are also the only ones at which the movies are free. To encourage them to continue, I usually buy the kid-sized tray of popcorn, soda, and candy. (It's only about $5.)
The very next day, I went to my third film as a Summer Kid: "Despicable Me"!!! That was at the Carmike Cinema. A mere $4 gets you the movie, popcorn, and a drink. Their Summer Kid Series is held only on Thursdays, so keep that in mind.
Up to this point, I had previously seen the movies. None were new to me.
Not so for the fourth film! "The Adventures of Tintin", about an investigative boy reporter and his dog, had somehow escaped me when it came out three years ago. I'm so glad the Summer Movie Express at the Regal Cinema brought it for me on this first day of July!
By the way, their summer films are on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and cost just one dollar. Popcorn can be had for just a few dollars more. Two of them, in fact. Dollars, not popcorns.
On July 3rd, I was back at the Carmike for "Despicable Me 2", for more fun with Minions and the three once-orphaned girls Gru had adopted - adorable! What great timing! Just one week after the cinema had screened the original! I bet they did that on purpose!
(smile!)
And that brings us to this week and today.
My Summer Kid Film Festival has had five movies so far, all animated.
I wonder what the rest of the festival will bring?
I'll be sure to let you know...

No comments: