Saturday, December 20, 2014

almost time for the family gathering!!!


Woohoo!!! The family is coming in two hours!
As I had mentioned earlier, the December Family Gathering is at my house this year! Imagine that!
And I volunteered my house for the gathering!!!
Now, to share a few pictures before things get hectic around here.

How neat and clean the living room is!
And see the lovely snowflakes my dear Melaness gave me for Christmas last year?
Hung with care, they're lending a snowy edge to the entertainment center!
The Energizer Bunny stocking - an inside joke with my stepdad and the family - is also hung up there, off to the right side, so it's the first thing folks see when they enter.
(smile)
Yukon Cornelius, the 'Bomble, and various elves and misfits are out topside, keeping company with the Christmas-past photo of Mama.
And over on the front door? That's a yuletide greeting I latch-hooked as a teen for my Granny White, my Grandpa's mom.
Yes, indeed, lots of Christmases past mingled with the new!

The same is true for the Christmas ornaments on my tree.
The Angel atop the tree dates back to 1981, when I was stationed in Okinawa.
Mama made her for me! Also, the little red ceramic car - on its way over the river and through the wood! - and the gingerbread house and the rocking horse. I had a few more, but I added those to the ones Frank found and gave to me that first Christmas after her death. All were then distributed to my nieces and nephews - her many grandchildren - so all would have something she had crafted.
There are more recent additions to my tree, too! Those were gifts from two of my eldest great-nieces and I've hung the pieces about their eye-level. Watching as they espy them will be fun!
Yes, the tree is in the sunroom this year. It's only been up since Monday, but I rather like it in this new location! I needed for it to not be taking up valuable floor space in the living room, as I am expecting about forty people.
Forty people! In my little 1300 square foot house!

That's why I rearranged the dining set, too, bringing in the two extra chairs from other rooms for an octet.
I'm hoping to provide plenty of places for folks to sit and visit and eat, but also hope they'll mingle.

I'm hoping!
No fear, though - the aromatic configuration remains intact!
(smile!)

What about the guest room?
Well, I have that changing table ready for use!
I've even bought swaddling cloths with little monsters on them and a package of newborn diapers.

Yes, I did!
My nephew Michael, the one whose gone fult-tilt boogie into being a daddy by having twins, will be here and I want to be a true Great-Aunt!

And the plush carpet in that room will be a great place for little ones to play and rest, if the adults are making too much noise.
The loveseat in there will provide more seating, too.
Whew!
That rocking chair I brought home from Panama will provide a nice place for a new mother to nurse, too.
Tucked away in my bedroom, my personal aquarium, it'll be apart from the action, but still in earshot.

That lovely muted fuchsia throw?
Mama crocheted that.
The quilted pillow in the seat?
I fashioned that from clothing I had once made, then gave the pillow to my Grandmama, back when she was traveling so much between my aunt in Tallahassee, us in Savannah, my maternal cousins in Augusta, and her sister in Strong, Arkansas.

What about the bathroom?
Did I forget to gussy it up?
Frayed knot!
(smile!)
Inspired by I know not what, I hung one of my usual wedding-gift towels, and then...
here's the amazing part...
draped over it the two Christmas-themed hand towels my outlaw Kathy had given me a couple of years ago.
Looks good, doesn't it?
Yeah, surprised me, too!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some chip dip to make!

No comments: