Wednesday, December 10, 2014

thanks for a lovely day!


The funny thing, Faustina, is that
in spite of the euphoria one feels upon entering paradise, cloaked in miracles, surrounded by angels, love, and unimaginable beauty, it gradually becomes all they know, commonplace, ordinary, and then, shockingly... invisible.
Yep, I'm talking about life on earth. Right?

Yippee-kai-yay,
The Universe


Today, that was the message I received.
Sometimes, they are more spot-on than others, especially in retrospect. You know, with hindsight being 20-20 and all that.
But today, I heard the messages in between the lines.
"Enjoy the here and now."
"Appreciate the life you have."
"See the beauty all around you."

Mama must have been instrumental in the timing of that one.
My outlaw Bunny started my day with the simple text: "Love you, Tina."
How wonderful to know someone else was remembering that it was my mother's birthday!
I posted the significance of the day, and Mama's Christmas photo that Frank had given to us the Christmas after her death, on facebook, then signed off.
I had a luncheon to attend.
That was a most excellent decision on my part. I had set it up quite a while ago, knowing December 10th was not just some ordinary day for me.
No.
So, steps had to be taken to distract me, albeit gently.
In other words, the company of strangers was needed.
Who better than the Lunch Ladies? The meetup was scheduled for a venue close to hand, not downtown. That was a plus! I didn't know how many to expect, but I knew there would be at least a few familiar faces of women of various ages. That was another plus!
I like having a range of ages around me - I find it reassuring. Megan, Debbie, and Jackie have been at several of the lunches I have attended and I truly like them. I wouldn't go so far as to call them "friends" yet, but they are certainly more than "acquaintances". As good fortune would have it, all three were at the table when I arrived slightly late and a little teary-eyed. There were others there, like Agnes and Betsy, that I knew more glancingly, as well as two newcomers.
None pried. All allowed me time and space to regain my tether.
At some point in the conversation, about books and movies and televised shows, I mentioned Mama, just to let them all know. I also shared how thankful I was to Megan and Debbie for our conversation about the Junior League Thrift Sale at an earlier luncheon. Thanks to them, when my first niece invited me a few days later to go to the sale with her, I complied. Moreover, I snagged lots of baby items and two Graco high chairs for my nephew Michael's upcoming twin girls. What a coup! And for less than twenty bucks, total!
I was feeling pretty good by the time lunch was done. And, look! Plenty of time until I was due at the school to give a make-up Final Exam to two students! (Yes, another activity deliberately scheduled as a distraction on this special day.)
The grocery store, a new one I had only been in once, was right there. (That's an inside joke with the bfe. Remind me to tell you about it sometime, if I haven't already.)
While there, I grabbed a few things for my upcoming soiree - sodas, clementines, cubed cheese - all on sale. Yeah! And while I was there, a special promotion allowed me to buy $145 worth of kitchen goods for only $39. Wow! I have two weddings coming up next year, so these will be fabulous gifts for the new couples!
Timing. That was such excellent timing!
I returned home in plenty of time to put away the three half-gallons of lactose-free milk and other refrigerator-stored items. In fact, I had time to set up the radio on the new station I so enjoy, SC 103. Its music selection is so diverse!!! They play a lot of old tunes, mixed in with new songs, and have an occasional holiday favorite thrown in for good measure.
Then I had to race out to the college, as I had lost track of time. Oops! That's okay, I made it there only five minutes late. The students were just glad I showed up! I read the student newspaper, marking errors in it along the way. When they finished their exams, I considered going to a movie, but finally decided against it. Why not check on the physicist, see if he was still in the house?
Turns out he was! I delivered the magazine that had the article about the movie we had seen last week (about another physicist, Stephen Hawking), then offered him a ride downtown (no, not like the cops on "Law & Order" do), as he was leaving, too. He accepted and we had one of our "random trains of thought crashing about" conversations along the way and, then, for another half-hour in front of his apartment. Very nice!
I then headed toward dinner, most likely at Sisters of the New South. (I have an incredible deal that nets me four free meals per month there and they have the absofrickinlutely best fried chicken on this planet.) As I pulled in, at o'dark thirty, I wondered: should I invite my brother Ronnie?
So, I called him, to let him know I was thinking about him on this day of our late mother's birth. He was obviously drunk and completely unaware of the significance of the date. After talking with him for about fifteen minutes, I signed off, not mentioning where I was or extending an invite.
No. I was not dealing with him, in that state, on this day.
So, I called my brother Smitty, to share that I was thinking of him on this day of our late mother's birth. I got his voicemail. Recalling that the day was the one on which he met with a group for Mexican fare, I headed toward the restaurant I thought most likely.
No. He was not there, nor did he ever call me back.
Strike two, as it were, for dinner plans.
Back to home, to cook and dine "with" four of my favorite nerds. You know, Leonard, Sheldon, Howard, and Raj. Very nice!
Then, I ventured out of the house once more. That Psychotronic Film fellow was screening another item gleaned from television of the 1970's. Good move on my part! Jack Klugman was the main draw for me in "Poor Devil", but Sammy Davis, Jr. was a treat to watch, too! I was in good company at the film, with the owner of the "Singin' In The Rain" poster there to share a chocolate cookie, and laughs, with me. Amanda was there, too, and gave me an enthusiastic greeting and personal invite to the librarian's baby shower. Super nice!
And now, I am home again, after enjoying this day of cheer and friendship and surprises.
Thanks, Mama!

No comments: