Thursday, January 1, 2015

not with a bang, but a giggle



Tonight, I ended 2014 with a roomful of strangers, with a few acquaintances scattered about.
What fun!
I was at one of my favorite places in Daytona Beach, the Cinematique, for an evening of entertainment - and dinner! - for only a couple of Jacksons. Very nice! The night began with an opening hour of free wine and beer, with noshes at hand. I sipped two glasses of Cabernet while nibbling on cheese, chips & salsa, and olives - yum!
Then Random Acts of Insanity arrived for their first set! I had caught the last half of their improv last night when I had arrived to town and was thrilled to get more of the zaniness! Andrew Ramos (the lead instigator of frivolity) and Menos were the only ones tonight had in common with last night. Both have voice talents which allow them to seamlessly riff between their own and those of Christopher Walken, Marlon Brando, Jimmy Stewart, and Robert Deniro - fun! They were joined by George, Scott, and JG tonight for quite a few games, including Fractured Fairy Tales, Forward/Reverse, Ding, Two-headed Date, Party Guests, and others. Each of the guys took turns being the emcee and several of them were called upon to be "girls", as in the day of Shakespeare.
Seriously fun!
I made sure to participate by calling out suggestions for game themes, items or words to be included, accents to be used - oh, yes, just as if I were home at an Odd Lot show! About half the audience had never been to an improv show, but by RAI's post-dinner set, everyone was chiming in. Good!
The dinner, a buffet between sets, was catered by an Ormond Beach group, DB Pickles. Big bowl of crispy salad, baked chicken breasts in gravy, roasted red potatoes, and garlicky green beans - quite tasty! Of course I had seconds! Then, for dessert, fabulous chocolate macaroons and red velvet cupcakes, along with an assortment of cookies for cRuNCH!
I was glad the fellows weren't tasked with entertaining us during the dinner. Rather, the dinner was sandwiched between the two hour-long sets of improv, allowing full enjoyment of all aspects of each.
The final game ended just a few minutes before midnight, allowing all guests the time to receive a glass of champagne and get their party favors in hands or atop heads. (I wore my sparkly pink and silver headband-cum-tiara, so I was set from the get-go!)
Then the grand countdown! 10... 9... 8... 7... 6... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
There were even fireworks, courtesy of the city, visible from our perch on Beach Street!
Nicely done, y'all!

1 comment:

The Univers said...

I want you to know, Faustina, that I've ordered up another year for you.

Think I'll call it 2015.

I'm going to put most of the same people from 2014 in it, since you all think so much alike. But there'll also be a few new, very cool cats coming to play - give them some time to grow up though.

And I'm going to have things start off pretty much exactly where they left off in 2014, for continuity's sake. Flips folks out too much when I don't.

All in all, 365 more days in paradise and only one request of you:

DREAM BIGGER.

Coolio?

Let's do this,
The Universe