Friday, August 14, 2015

waiting for the monster to strike again


I finally have my car back again.
I picked it up yesterday morning, after the clutch master cylinder had been replaced to make it drivable.
The trunk is lashed down, as it can no longer close properly.
And I find myself waiting for the Monster SUV to strike again, to attack me from out of the blue.
I've driven my car only twice since I got it back.
Yesterday, I drove from Dixie Motors to my house. My first niece then ferried me around for our movie and slunch date. She even took me with her to pick up the Papa Murphy's pizza specials from Wednesday night's game.
My car then sat in the driveway until this afternoon.
I drove out to Tybee Vacation Rentals to inquire about a job, on her advice. The folks behind the counter were rather unpleasant to me, but that was not why I started crying.
The drive out to Tybee had been so stressful.
I didn't have any huge beasts crowding my tailpipe - for a change - but I kept watching in the rearview mirror, just in case.
All the way there.
Then I kept close watch again, all the way home.
I've cried twice since I got home two hours ago.
I know it's stress.
I know it's the bad kind of stress that just immobilizes me.
I should have gone to wash clothes.
I should have gone to the post office.
I should have gone to the bank.
I stayed here, feeling trapped.

Tonight, I will go to the baseball game.
That is close enough to home that the distance is minimal.
But I will most likely come straight home after the game.
And I will be watching for the white SUV ...

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

14 August 2015 6:39 PM

time….give it some time….
but you cannot give up your social life…you are a fun, social lady…
and who would I see all the good movies with?

Love you Tina
bonnie

Sent from Windows Mail

From: me
Sent: ‎Thursday‎, ‎August‎ ‎13‎, ‎2015 ‎9‎:‎35‎ ‎PM
To: BONNIE

The first phone call I received this morning was from Dixie Motors. All done!!! What great news!!!

Christina took me from the car rental place to get my car. Then she and I spent the afternoon together. Very nice!
And the only driving I did was from Dixie Motors to my home.
I think I'm still a bit skittish on the road.
I guess I will have to work on that if I'm to keep up my social life.

Angela Johnson said...

14 August 2015 4:13 PM

You are safe that's all that matters. I was shaky after mine and had a hard time driving after in fear of being hit again.