Wednesday, January 27, 2016

deniro and efron


I have to wonder what demographic they were trying to target.
Yesterday, I went to the super bargain matinee of "Dirty Grandpa".
Sure, I had been attracted to the film because Robert De Niro is in it and I usually like his comedic work.
Plus, Zac Efron provides nice eye candy.
And I really wanted to chill out with popcorn and have a few laughs after a long day that started way too early.
So, I went.
Within fifteen minutes, I was sure I had made a big mistake.
I stayed, hoping it would get better.
Nope.
The level of crude was unbelievably coarse.
The language, the humor, the story.
What a waste of talent.

Again I ask: what demographic were the makers hoping to attract?
Fans of De Niro?
Not likely. I can't imagine any of them staying through the entire film. In fact, I would guess they would be asking for their money back.
Fans of Efron?
Not likely. This is most definitely not for the women (or men) who find him attractive or likable. There's about five minutes in the entire 102 minutes of footage in which he could be said to be attractive and likable.
Well, then, maybe they were looking for fans of Seth Rogen?
Please. Those guys are at the bars, not in the cinemas.

Bear in mind that I am no shrinking violet, easily offended by rude language or such.
I was in the US Navy for almost eight years.
Shrinking violet?
Not hardly.
Easily offended?
More likely, once upon a time, to have been the one uttering those kinds of words and making other sailors blush.
So, for me to complain about gratuitous coarseness, it's got to be seriously offensive to most folks.

What a waste of talent.
It purports to be a story about a grandfather reconnecting with his grandson.
Okay, I'll give it that.
But it could have been a wonderful story about grandkids acknowledging that it's okay for their grandparents to still have sex.
It could have been a fabulous story to open discussions about sex between generations.
Instead, it concentrated its energy on showing that sex was dirty and creepy and fueled by drugs.
What an absolute waste.

No comments: